Wednesday 30 May 2012

Buddha, the Enlightened one...

 I have been lately so busy with work, entertaining guests, cooking and gardening, that I have had no time to paint or sew or make something arty...No regrets, as I am having fun doing other stuff. So for today’s post, sharing some pictures of one of my favorite spiritual teachers'...The Buddha. "Buddha" meaning "The Awakened one" or "the Enlightened one". Just as many others, I was introduced to the story of Buddha and some of his learnings, very early via the evergreen Amar Chitra comics.

And then I saw the Hindi movie Ashoka...the 1st scene, where Emperor Chandragupta Maurya abdicating his throne, becomes a Buddhist monk...and as he is leaving with the rest of the monks, throws his diamond encrusted sword into a deep valley and explains to young Ashoka, that the Sword can protect or kill. If it is used to protect, it will lead him towards Salvation, else the power of the sword would be such, that  it could destroy him with greed, want and all those material pleasures...but  young Ashoka is so fascinated with the sword that he reaches out and catches the sword, ....and later he conquers kingdom after kingdom, finally the Kalinga war makes him understand the futility of war, power and wealth...He too, renounces his throne and embraces Buddhism
I loved this movie!!
Some pictures of the enlightened one at my home and garden....

In the Patio...the Buddha amongst the ferns...



My gorgeous Buddha from the store"Dhoop" in Bombay. The shawl and the lower covering depicts the entire life of Buddha and the milestones that leads him to the path of Salvation...The diya holder is actually a metal shoe rom Jaisalmer


Another Buddha...this is more South Asian in profile...


A mixed media mural of Siddhartha ...reproduced from the Ajanta caves murals...



In the garden...


A Thangka from Nepal...



Hope you liked the post...Adios until next wednesday...
~Anpu

5 comments:

  1. Your Ajanta Buddha is so full of grace. My favorite! Having so many Buddhas must be quite peace giving. I kept a few too..Cambodian ones..they pout, you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! loved the painting from Nepal !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Thangka. Its is so beautiful. Lovely post Anpu and thanks for the sweet comment about my rug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and lovely collection of Buddhas.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.... Thank you for leaving me a note!