Sunday 3 October 2010

Durga Puja ....

As a child, I always wanted to participate in a grand (GRAAAAND!!) Durga puja celebration. I never got this opportunity. So when I saw Pree’s event ‘Beyond 5 days of Durga Puja’… I jumped with joy…. I don’t really know what one needs to do for a Durga Puja… What I do know… is.. the bells of devotion from my heart will surely be heard by the Goddess.. This post is specially dedicated to Pree !! Thank you for hosting such a lovely event.
And to Anamika…. (my friend), for being a part of my mad life!!! With an hours notice, the Goddess from her house was in mine… and instantly She was part of Pree’s event.
Any celebration for me is incomplete without a dedicated shrine… Be it Diwali or Christmas, I always have a dedicated shrine made for the festivities. And ofcourse you know… that candles and lotus (new addition) make me happy!!
Anamika’s thoughts on what Durga puja means to her… please read on!!

Waking up very early on the day of Mahalaya to fill every corner of my house with the chants of “Yaa Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shakti Roopena Samasthita Namastasyai- Namastasyai -Namastasya -Namo Namah”..... to welcome Ma Durga, is Durga Puja for me.....

Going shopping to buy new clothes, and a whole new set of accessories is Durga Puja for me ....

To prepare aalpona (drawings like rangoli but made with thin rice batter) on the floor at the threshold of our house is Durga Puja for me ....

To break my fast with "anjali" and that first glance at Ma's Idol, is Durga Puja for me...

Sinking my teeth into rasogullas, mishti doi, radabaullobi, chops and cutlets is Durga Pujo for me...(how can i not mention the traditional Bhog, tomato chutney and the paayesh !!)

Tapping my feet on the beats of Dhol,while men & women dressed in their best, dance with "dhunochi" filling the atmosphere with that nostalgic scent is Durga Pujo for me....

The conches blow, sindoor rises in the air, heavy hearts and tearful eyes.... as Mother goes for Visarjan ..... Thats Durga Pujo for me ....

Thank you for joining in my Durga Puja celebration…. Hope you liked it... *smiles*

19 comments:

  1. shubho pujo to you, Patty !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shubho pujo to you, Patty !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved..loved..loved your post Patty! Amazing shots :)
    Shubho Durga Puja to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post.
    The pujo feeling is slowly sinking in... it is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I loved your mandir! and we kick off the festivities.............thanks for the lovely post, patty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful, warm... I lake it!!!
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post patty, Happy Durga Puja..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This totally sets the mood foe the Puja's and Diwali. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved your post....Happy Durga Puja!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have just got me into a festive mood! So many festivals ..so much to do...so much to EAT!! what a beautiful post & such lovely words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful! and just in time... i am in the process of starting work on my navaratri decorations!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful Patty. Lovely to see Ma Durga in far away Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the air of festivity... great colors and arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. durga puujo er shubbhecha!! (wishes for durga puja)

    it is truely special event for us bengalis...a part of our psyche..no matter how modern we are...we have special place in our hearts for ma durga and the special time of the year called durga pujo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Patty! The air is filled with Navratri excitement..can't you feel it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love to love this season....... called "durga pujo"

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.... Thank you for leaving me a note!