Saturday 31 March 2012

Jungfrau – Top of Europe

If you are in Switzerland and really want to see snow (I’ve only seen it thrice in my life, so am ever so excited!!)… Jungfrau is the place to go!! It is the highest peak in Europe and has snow & ice guaranteed all year long.

An amazing 3454 metres, this is the highest altitude in Europe!! An ofcouse the railway station here, is obviously the highest in Europe as well! Yes!! There is a railway station at this peak!!

Can you spot the train in this picture?

A few attractions on the Jungfrau are -
=> Ice Palace
=> Ice Gateway
=> Sphinx observation terrace
=> Plateau with hikes in the eternal snow
=> "Top of Europe" Glacier Restaurant
=> High Alpine Research Exhibition
=> ski & snowboard park, husky-drawn sledge rides, adventure attractions: e.g. Tyrolienne, snow disk etc.
The route to the peak is truly remarkable and definitely unforgettable.
The route - Interlaken Ost - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch - Grindelwald - Interlaken Ost.


This unique round-trip by modern cogwheel railway takes you first to Kleine Scheidegg, at the foot of the notorious Eiger North Wall. From here the Jungfrau Railway starts its climb to the station at Eigergletscher, well known for its mountain restaurant and polar dog kennels. So stop a few minutes and don’t forget to have some coffee, tea or hot chocolate. The trip then continues through the Eiger tunnel to the stations at Eigerwand and Eismeer, with a five minute halt at each. Enjoy spectacular sightseeing through large observation windows cut from solid Alpine rock.


I don’t even have to say that the roof of Europe, offers superb views extended as far as the mountains in France and the Black Forest in Germany. When you are here just enjoy the Sphinx observation terrace & hall, the impeccable Ice Palace. Don’t forget to have a walk around the Jungfrau….




And then enjoy some hot chocolate on the mountain top!!

13 comments:

  1. I have been to this place.Quiet amazing place but the rush was so heavy that we sat on the steps of the train.Everyone were pushing to each others body reminding me of indian buses and trains.

    Love
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww!!!!
    thanks for all the info :)
    I would love to be there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this place and your photos bring back a lot of memories. I loved that station (I forget the name)where you get off the train and look about to find you're in the middle of the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Switzerland is one of the places I love to visit for its mountainous range with the green and white blankets bloomed with lily of the valleys and listening to the cow bells..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I plan to go to Europe next year but unfortunately Switzerland is not in the itinerary :( Have you by any chance sat in the chocolate train there its my ambition to sit in it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics!

    Snow all year round is not for me.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing pictures!!! you have a lovely blog :)
    www.blogdljr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been here, IT IS AMAZING!
    i will have to leave a warning though...you can hardly breath when you get up there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely....i have been wanting to go to switzerland for so long...and ur post makes me want to go there even more!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jungfrau is where one get a true alpine experience. I did a wee trek until eiger and found it totally breathtaking.. And when you visit them on odd winter months all u can see 360 degrees is just snow..beautiful pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We ski in this part of the world and I have posted about this region recently on both my Travel Tales and photography blogs, you may be interested in taking a look. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.... Thank you for leaving me a note!