Saturday 25 June 2011

Madurodam – A small world


Saturday posts will now be dedicated to travel... I'll talk about all the lovely places I've visited... *smiles*... and take you on my journey... !!
Have you been to Madurodam…?? the smallest city in Netherlands! This is the one destination in the world… where I entered the gates of Madurodam and my heart, mind and soul turned into a 5 year old. I forgot all about the exhibition and conference that I was in Amsterdam for. About 2 and half hours train ride and then a 15 mins bus ride away from Amsterdam, Madurodam is a miniature city. All buildings are built to scale 1:25. All the iconic places and monuments in Holland have a small home here… from the canals and typical dutch scenes… to the docks and the railway station… from the airport to the normal city roads and cafes… from the cathedrals and forts to the cheese factory.
The precision with which this space is made is just remarkable and unbelievable. The stained glass on the church window… to the abbot’s costumes… to the detailed forts and other buildings… You just want to run around the place… and be a child again.

What amazed me the most… was that the cars, trains and ships actually moved… Yippee!!! Yes they did!!! You could see cars speeding on the highways.. and the ships docking… Oh!! And here in the sea.. there are actually real fish!!! You can also see people waiting at the railway station… and the trains moving all around the miniature city. Then at the airport… the planes actually move on the run way.. as if to take off or land… Its just unbelievable.
To show the Dutch street image as realistic as possible, a great attention is given to the surroundings of the scale models. Plants are an important part of that. Small-leafed trees and shrubs are used. All trees are pruned to sixty centimetres when they normally grow to be 15 meters high!!!
Enjoy some more photos on My Flickr… and if ever in Amsterdam… this is a must visit!! Plan a visit and write to me, I’ll sure show you the way!!

13 comments:

  1. Patricia, what a wonderful place. I must add it to my list of places to visit. But I am so enamored by Paris and the French Riviera that I keep going back there:):) Thanks for stopping by my blogs, I appreciate it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, You have got a very good blog, and very interesting too. Even I share the same interests..travelling, home decor..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..Lucky you!!!! Pretty interesting...It reminds us of our childhood days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!! samhith would love this place too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia...thanks for visiting my blog. I haven't traveled much so this post was very interesting to me. I love the buildings and streets. I love the way they have paved around the trees...I'll be back! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty, right you are. I had been to here during Easter and loved it. I enjoyed the laser show showing the lives of these people and how they managed the dam all around their country:)) Amazing isn't it. Thanks for the post and refreshing the memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey patty
    i have been to madurodam 5 years ago...these pictures have refreshed my memory..and so I want to visit again....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh thats a place which make all of us feel like galliver travels. lovely clicks and thanks for letting us know of a city like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This travel blog idea is a welcome change. I really enjoyed the tour, must visit it some time. The pictures are really good. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patty, what a wonderful place...I have heard about and and Its on my list of places to see...thanks for sharing these pictures.
    I too have a thing for all things miniature....my heart flutters when I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so caught up with these cute little wonderful images!Love the name of the place as well...Thanks for sharing such a unique place:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patricia.. Lucky girl..!!
    One more place to visit added in my list.. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.... Thank you for leaving me a note!